Sunday, 30 October 2011


As promised, more pics of the Tervigon with a quick description of how I modeled it.

Main body is a carnifex with the spine banks carapace option.  The fore limbs are the large cything talons from the monstrous creature frame.  These go straight into the arm slots and just need to be trimmed so they can angle downwards.  I aimed to have the tervigon supported by about 2 of these fore limbs and proped it up on dice as the limbs dried in place.

The rear limbs were a little harder.  As there isn't a slot for them I used green stuff to build up a small lump around the middle leg.  Then pushed the smaller of the monstrous creature talons into the green stuff (I used the talons on the wrong side they appear to face backwards).  I then withdrew the talon and let it all dry.  A good tip with green stuff is giving it about 30 minute from when you first mix to when you start sculpting and using as much water as possible on your modeling tool.  then when set I glued the talon into the ocket and added a tiny amount more green stuff to smoth the join.

The underside was green stuff again applied thickly.  I kept it below the ribcage but actually when I do this again I might fill the whole lower half.  Pay especial attention where the tail meets the body as this is a good site to build up and add bulk.  Then I just pressed some cut up rippers into the stuff and added a small wodden bead as an egg.  When it had dried another thin layer created strands the rippers are fighting through and layers resembling sacs.

I knew I wanted the model to be imposing and a centre piece so I elected to use a large oval base.  There isn't an official miniature yet so this is probably fine but if unsure run it by the events team at your competition first.  A few cut up termagants and another ripper completed the base (as well as static grass, my new obsession).

I've explained my painting before in a previous post if interested.  Only other thing was to place on the base, I had a talon coming off to give it a sense of menace as it advances and cut some of the talons 1) to create a stronger join to the base and 2) so it appears to be sinking into the ground (I'd love to see this thing walk through mud).  When flocking the base its a good oportunity to add extra strength to the joins.  its a big model for just 3 or 4 points of contact so build up PVA or hobby tack around the limb to add a little extra strength.

Hope you enjoy and this has given you some ideas!

Thursday, 27 October 2011

Tervigon and Nids

A few pics of new additions to my Nids collection.

A Tervigon assembled from a carnifex repositioned onto the larger MC scything talons and an additional set replacing the legs.  The underside has been built up with green stuff and bits to show the nascent Termagants.

Termagants also new additions (all my old ones have spine fists.

The carapace is done by stipling mecrite red then gore red then blood red.  stipple a small amount of black then back to blood red.  edges are built up by drybrushing deneb stone then washing with kommando khaki.  finally skull white to highlight.  on the termagants the skin is just black but on the fex its codex grey with succesive washes of black before highlighting fortress grey.

Termagants are painted to be fast with the carapace ardcoated to give it the shine.  Seen individually they aren't great but as a mass they blend together nicely whilst being slightly unique each due to the patterning of the shell.

Let me know what you think.
Good old gribblies

Quick but it shows
en-mass not too bad