Thursday 7 April 2011

Kantor

The Kantor model is one of the reasons I opted for a Crimson Fists force with a strong and dynamic pose the model has lots of detail and a great solid feel that epitomises the space marine look.  An ornate metal model but without the overcrowded feel some metal models can develop where details become lost to flash or simply being too close together to adequetly pick out in detail.  The colour scheme is dictated but spot colours and shading give great opportunity to customise and personalise the model.

Base colour - necron abyss lightened to Mordian blue in 3 stages of different mixes (a pallet is great for this, just progressivley add the lighter colour and reapply each time).  The thinner the paint the better.  Extreme highlights of mordian blue to shadow grey and white happen quickly on the edges to give the armor a slightly metalic look, especially on the pauldrons.

The head - base colour of Tau Sept Ochre drybrushed over with Deneb Stone.  To tie the helmet back in with the rest of the model I washed it Asurmen Blue.  I then reapplied the Deneb Stone as a highlight and finally skull white as an extreme edge.
The Laurels start as Darkangle green lightening to snot green on the tips.  Again the snot green was mixed in progressivley larger amounts with Darkangles green and thinned.  The key seemed to be the less paint on the brush the better the result.

Ropes and tabbards - base of Mechrite Red with another coat of Red Gore.  Highlights where the light would catch the leather of Solar Orange and Blood Red mix.  The mix was used essentially because the blood red when thinned wouldn't take to the model but the foundation paint really brought the colour out on the model.  Final extreme highlight of Solar Orange.  Very similar is the highlighting on the power fist.

Gems are red gore with a single line of blood red through the centre and a dot (as small as I could make it) of skull white).  I find the best way to apply these fine details in holding the brush in one hand, elbow braced against your stomach holding the miniature in the other.  This way if I shake at least both hands shake at the same time and rate (my old art teacher Mr Bannister taught me that).

The new technique and colour combination I tried was on the gold.  I really don't like the metallic paints as I find they give too coarse an effect on small models and details unless mixed or watered down.  the small particles also get everywhere and changing water every few minutes is a pain.  The gold on Kantor should be more worn and weathered, ostentation giving way to practicality and pragmatism.  The darker tones also work well with the reds and oranges.  As a base I used Calthan brown and highlighted with Tausept Ochre.  I could have left it here (first pic) but felt it lacked the characteristic lustre of even burnished gold so tried a minimal and extreme highlight of skull white and a watered down Golden yellow (pic 2).  I prefer the second and feel I'm closer to achieving the look I'm after but still lack the depth of a true metallic surface, will have to find another model to practice on (I see the Grey Knights have lots of metallic surfaces and pendants...).  See which you prefer and please let me know.


















Just the banner and finishing off then he's ready to take to the field (or seal inside a container and burried in concrete for its protection).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second image definitely looks better to me.

    The first layer of the gold looks more like old bronze to me, but the highlighting changes that on the second picture.

    I also agree that Kantor is one of the better Games Workshop special character models. Unlike Vulkan and Khan the sculpt is kept clearly defined and open, not closed up and cluttered.

    ReplyDelete